Thursday, April 19, 2007

Undead Douche

This was going to be my stab at the "Draw like some other dude" thread on bombunists.com, but I didn't like how it was turning out, so I decided to post it here instead. It doesn't look like Ryan's work at all (it's hard to emulate his expressiveness with the tablet when I'm using a mouse), but hey, it's got a circular head and was done with Illustrator (7!), so in superficial terms, I halfway nailed it!



Y'know, for awhile there, when I had just the rough skeleton down, I thought I was sorta on the right track. When I tried to fake some "inking", I got a little carried away and started adding more and more details and proportions closer to what I would draw myself. The end result is some kind of monstrous superhero wearing the head of a fast food/sporting team mascot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your last paragraph. This would be very Ryanesque if you didn't put all those Toddesque muscles on the torso/pelvic region, and highlighting on the shoulder/pec armor.

Good work though--it's a pretty fun drawing of the douche, even if it's not a perfect emulation of Ryan's style.

Todd said...

Thanks. It was hard drawing something entirely in Illustrator with a mouse (I didn't scan a pencil sketch or anything first) which is why I think I started resorting to all my own tricks, just so I wouldn't feel completely lost.

I've got my tablet hooked up at home now, I might have to try another ape of Ryan's stylez.

Ryan said...

That is really freaky looking. Yet it is really fitting given that APE is this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ha, APE. I guess we've all collectively given up hope on any comic shows for a while. I have, at least.