Friday, September 28, 2007

Fuck you, Gunston!

The editor of Mason's newspaper, The Broadside, saw my facebook gallery and asked if I would do some cartoons for the paper. "Sure" I said. Why not, it's good for a resume (ha!) right? Well, they needed one by Monday, and since I'm leaving straight from work tonight to go to Myrtle Beach, that means I had about 2 hours to get the first one done. Fuck. I also took all of my art supplies out of my bag so I could use it to pack. All I had was a ballpoint pen and Photoshop. Fuck fuck. Anyway, I say all this not to excuse my shoddy work, just to...ok, yeah, excuse my shoddy work. It was a rush job! I didn't have my fancy ass brush pens, colored leads and Microns! The articles sharing page space were about our mascot, Gunston, possibly being replaced, and something about tasers on campus. I combined the two:



(click to biggerize)

Originally, I, of course, had Gunston getting tasered right in the cajones, which is why he's posed that way, but then I thought maybe I shouldn't get fired before I'm ever even really hired, so I flipped him around and stuck it in his ass instead (if I had a nickle...).

Whatever, I'm going to the beach.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it lots. This is good work for you to be doing, the newspaper is. It's less of a commitment than bigger (multiple full-page sequential) projects, but is still great practice and a chance to get your work published. I hope you keep it up, and keep turning out good illustrations like this one.

My only complaint regarding this drawing is the angle on the taser's bolt. If G.M.'s arm was angled lower, you could have the bolt angle match the arm angle and carry out the ass-zap. As it is, the bolt looks a little flaccid.

Ryan said...

I prefer the black and white version to the color one in your face book. Nice work, I hope this becomes a regular gig for you.

Todd said...

Thanks a lot duders, we'll see how it goes. The fact that the first one out the gate was such a disaster (in my mind at least) really killed my confidence, but if they come back to me for more I'd more than likely accept.

Regarding the "flaccid bolt", it's a failure on my part to accurately communicate this, but the idea was that those squiggly lines are the electrical wires that shoot out of stun guns. Like I said, it's my fault for not making that clearer, but that at least explains why I made what otherwise seems like an obvious gravitational oversight.