Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Me Am "Mab Mab!"

Inspired by Kevin's recent avatar, I doodled this during a meeting at work today and afterwards cleaned it up a little in Photoshop:




Poor planning lead to me running out of space at the bottom of the page, so I twisted his left foot into an unnatural position to try and get it to fit. It ended up looking retarded (or, in Bizarro speak, AWESOME), so I did that lazy "fade out" shit.

Also, those aren't lens flares, technically. I made them myself, which means they're not tacky, but rather, FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

EDIT: Does his right arm, particularly, the forearm, look completely fucked? My eye keeps being drawn to it, which can't be a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mab Mab" is priceless.

Really good musculature on this guy...probably the best finished drawing I've seen from you in a while. (Granted, there haven't been many finished drawings in a while.) His right forearm looks good, the only thing that might be a little distracting is the sort of y-shaped line seems a little unnatural. Is it a fold, is it a muscle, does it really divide up his forearm like that? Back off on the ink in that one little spot to ease up on the segmentation of his arm, and you probably won't be drawn to it as much.

I like the inking you used on the interior of the cape. The little hatching adds a really nice feel to those folds, better than a solid contour line would have, I think.

Ryan said...

The one thing that bugs me is that the tip of the chest emblem looks like it's a shelf hanging off his chest. There is a chest crease leading up to it that doesn't carry across into the symbol. On the whole though, this has a very "Justice League the cartoon show" feel.